Monday, September 28, 2015

Natural Medicine

    Six days without posting. Lately I've been bogged down by life events... birthday parties, weddings, other social events... not to say that's a bad thing, however, I really appreciate having time to myself on my days off. There's something very frustrating and relaxing about sitting down at my computer to blog or research. Although I love my soon to be in-laws and my fiance's friends I am very happy to have a few hours to sit back and talk about the past.
    Ahhh, so refreshing. Now genealogy is wonderful, however, it is not our only link to the past. There is a lot more we can learn other than just the names of our kin. We began discussing different ways of connecting to your past in my last blog post about cars. I feel a connection to those who came before me when I do things that they might have done. Another topic that I feel very strongly about is holistic medicine.
    I am going to throw out a disclaimer right now. I am not a doctor, I do not pretend to be a doctor, holistic medicine may or may not help the conditions we believe it to assist and cannot be a substitute for real diagnosis and medication. Phew, long disclaimer. However, I think that there must be something to the natural cures that have come down through out the ages. If it didn't work we would have stopped relying on it. Again that's not to say you should rely on the an old wives tale to cure cancer, but as long as the natural cure does not interact with the medicinal treatment, well it can't hurt to have a little extra.
    I haven't been sick in years so I've had little need to test these cures. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I do, however, have an arsenal ready if the need ever arises. Garlic is my first key. My house smell of garlic. It's in every crevice. Garlic is a great preventative, but when necessary it can also be a powerful antibiotic. In this study that came from India it was concluded that garlic has potential to fight against bacterial infections. It is effective even against some antibiotic resistant strains. With antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria on the rise further research is being given to the older medicinal options. The study does make a note that it is only a preliminary collection of data and that more research needs to be given on the side effects and uses in a larger study.
    Another problem that has come to the attention of doctors is how frequently people of all ages pop pain killers. Many of us out there even younger people (I am under 30 and rely on it at least once a month) rely on those pain killers in order to get through the day. Many people are starting to look back at old herbs and pain relievers. There do not appear to be any clinical studies on this, however there are many people who are willing to share their experience if you are willing to try an unconventional method for pain relief. (Always speak with your doctor to make sure the things you eat will not interact with any medications and of course seek medical attention for any severe pain. I cannot stress enough the importance of not self treating major illnesses.)



    Cinnamon has had a small clinical study done over seas. It has been shown to significantly decrease the severity and duration of pain, though it is not as effective as ibuprofen. For severe medical problems I may find myself returning to nsaids, however, when I have a small arthritis flare a little cinnamon in my coffee does wonders to alleviate the pain.
 

    The last honorable mention on my list is Honey. The medical community is still out on that one. There's no doubt that it makes you feel better and coats the throat. It has been shown to help inhibit the growth of H. Pylori bacteria growth which is a cause of stomach ulcers. It can also be applied to burns and it has been found to help keep bacteria growth out of wounds. Then there are others who discuss the fact that these are small studies and that it is too soon to come to a reasonable conclusion. I believe honey was the only thing that helped to heal a bad throat infection two years ago. I had no voice for over a month with the classic white spots as the back of my throat. I tested negative for strep and my doctor did not give me any answer as to what was going on. It last another two weeks till I started a treatment of raw honey. My throat finally got better and I have not had white patches since.
    We are lucky to live in the future. We have available to us medical technology that people could scarcely have dreamed of a century ago. We now have a problem though where we are overly dependent on new medications. Take what you read with a grain of salt. I won't be offended if these three big holistic healers don't enter your medicine cabinet, but don't they all sound good? I think even without using them for their healing properties I could still use some more honey, cinnamon, and garlic in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment